My primary research focus is on 20th century Scandinavian and Baltic political history, with a particular interest in Baltic-Scandinavian contacts and the transnational history of the Baltic Sea Region more generally. I am also interested in contemporary Baltic and Scandinavian politics (especially foreign and security policy), and I have an academic side-interest in Medieval Old Norse-Icelandic literature and culture.
Most of my teaching concerns 20th century European political history, especially the history of Scandinavian and Baltic politics, society, and culture. I have also taught modules in Medieval Studies, including overview courses in Old Norse literature.
I have administrative experience as the previous head and curricula manager of the Department of Scandinavian Studies at University of Tartu, and I am currently holding several administrative roles at UCL, including Dual Degree Coordinator at ESPS and programme convener at CMII. I have also been active as a translator, mainly from Icelandic and Old Icelandic into Estonian; of both modern and Medieval literature. In 2016, I was awarded an Estonian literary debut prize.
SUMMARY IN MANDARIN:Dr. Mart Kuldkepp (Associate Professor of Scandinavian History and Politics)
- PhD in Scandinavian Languages and Literatures. University of Tartu, Estonia, 2014.
- MA cum laude in Scandinavian languages and cultures. University of Tartu, Estonia, 2010.
- BA cum laude in Scandinavian languages and cultures (Swedish philology). University of Tartu, Estonia, 2006.
- 01.10.2018-: Associate Professor of Scandinavian History and Politics. Department of Scandinavian Studies/European and International Social and Political Studies, University College London.
- 01.09.2015-30.09.2018: Lecturer in Contemporary Scandinavian History. Department of Scandinavian Studies/European Social and Political Studies, University College London.
- 01.01.2015-31.08.2015: Research Fellow. Department of Scandinavian Studies, University of Tartu.
- 01.06.2014-31.12.2014: Junior Research Fellow. Department of Scandinavian Studies, University of Tartu.
- 01.02.2011-31.05.2014: Assistant Lecturer. Department of Scandinavian Studies, University of Tartu.
- 2007-2011: Adjunct, Department of Scandinavian Studies, University of Tartu.