My primary research focus is on 20th century Scandinavian and Baltic political history, with a particular interest in Baltic-Scandinavian contacts and the transnational history of the Baltic Sea Region more generally. I am also interested in contemporary Baltic and Scandinavian politics (especially foreign and security policy). Furthermore, I have an academic side-interest in Medieval Old Norse-Icelandic literature and culture. In this capacity, I serve has the Honorary Treasurer of the Viking Society for Northern Research.
Most of my teaching concerns 20th century European political history, especially the history of Scandinavian and Baltic politics, society, and culture. I have also taught modules in Medieval Studies, including overview courses in Old Norse literature.
I have administrative experience as the previous head and curricula manager of the Department of Scandinavian Studies at University of Tartu, and I currently hold several administrative roles at UCL, including Dual Degree Coordinator at ESPS and programme convener at CMII. I have also been active as a translator, mainly from Icelandic and Old Icelandic into Estonian; of both modern and medieval literature. In 2016, I was awarded an Estonian literary debut prize.
SUMMARY IN MANDARIN:Dr. Mart Kuldkepp (Associate Professor of Scandinavian History and Politics)
- PhD in Scandinavian Languages and Literatures. University of Tartu, Estonia, 2014.
- MA cum laude in Scandinavian Languages and Cultures. University of Tartu, Estonia, 2010.
- BA cum laude in Scandinavian Languages and Cultures (Swedish philology). University of Tartu, Estonia, 2006.
- 01.10.2018-...: Associate Professor of Scandinavian History and Politics. Department of Scandinavian Studies/European and International Social and Political Studies, UCL.
- 01.09.2015-30.09.2018: Lecturer in Contemporary Scandinavian History. Department of Scandinavian Studies/European Social and Political Studies, UCL.
- 01.01.2015-31.08.2015: Research Fellow. Department of Scandinavian Studies, University of Tartu.
- 01.06.2014-31.12.2014: Junior Research Fellow. Department of Scandinavian Studies, University of Tartu.
- 01.02.2011-31.05.2014: Assistant Lecturer. Department of Scandinavian Studies, University of Tartu.
- 2007-2011: Adjunct, Department of Scandinavian Studies, University of Tartu.